• The Committee on Undergraduate Records and Certification (CURC) meets in January and June to review the records of matriculated students who have cumulative grade point averages (GPAs) below 2.0. The Committee will dismiss students from matriculated status if they have earned 13.00 or more deficit points.
  • Matriculated means that the student has been formally admitted to the University as a degree-seeking student; dismissal means that the student is no longer considered a degree-seeking candidate and is not eligible to enroll in full-time study.
  • The Office of the Registrar notifies students who are facing dismissal review by CURC. Students have the opportunity through their Academic Assistant Dean to present an appeal. See CURC Process.
  • Students who are dismissed from matriculated status by CURC, may take up to seven credits of courses each term through the Division of Professional and Continuing Studies at UD as continuing education, non-degree (CEND) students. UD courses taken as CEND students will count toward eliminating Quality Point deficits.
  • To earn a degree, students who have been dismissed must be approved for readmission to the University.

Differences Between Matriculated Students and Continuing Education Students

Matriculated Degree-Seeking Students

  • Are classified by college and year (e.g. ASSO: Arts & Sciences/Sophomore)
  • Have a major and can declare additional majors/minors
  • May enroll for up to 18 credits per semester
  • Are eligible for financial aid and scholarships
  • May live in University residence halls
  • Are advised by faculty and advisors within their major or college

Non-Degree Seeking, Continuing Education Students

  • Are classified as Continuing Education, Non- Degree (CEND)
  • Do not have majors or minors
  • May enroll for no more than 7 credits per term
  • Are not eligible for federal financial aid
  • May not live in University housing
  • Are advised through the Professional & Continuing Studies Access Center
  • Must raise their GPA to a minimum 2.0 by taking UD courses and then apply for readmission to matriculated status in order to earn a degree from the University of Delaware

Academic Dismissal Policy

CURC Process

Special Probation

Continuing Education Non-Degree Status